We are taught at a young age that kindness is holding doors open for people and smiling and just not being mean to others. Yes, this is all true, but it goes so far beyond that. Kindness is genuinely wanting others to be happy and succeed. Kindness is giving to others without a thought of getting something in return. Kindness is generous, caring, helpful, unselfish and rooted in love.
What Kindness Isn’t:
Kindness is not niceness. It’s not refraining from saying you don’t like someone’s outfit so you won’t hurt their feelings. It’s not being the bigger person by not saying hurtful words to someone that may very well deserve it. Niceness is from a place of fear of not being accepted and liked by others. Kindness is from a place of love. It’s about doing the right thing when people aren’t watching us. Kindness is so real and rooted in love that you can physically feel the kindness of some people before they say a word. That’s pretty cool, huh?
Ways to Be Kind:
While being kind comes naturally to some, here are some ways to condition yourself to be kind. Kindness is purposeful and your brain and your heart will thank you!
- Wake up by saying 5 things your grateful for.
- Write and send a thank you or thinking of you card to someone who’s made a positive impact on your life.
- Give someone a compliment from the heart.
- Pray for people you know who need it.
- Tell your family you love them more.
- Volunteer with your community.
- Go sit with someone who’s eating alone.
- Call someone you haven’t talked to in a while.
- Forgive and ask for forgiveness.
So, while 2018 is still pretty fresh, let’s all agree to reach that kindness that is inside ALL of us and, I promise you, it is contagious and it is good and it is free.
Being nice doesn’t change the world, but being kind sure can! We're spreading some kindness to you with 10% off of our Bee Kind baseball tees this week! Use code: KIND10 to save!